Saturday 5 January 2013

Book Review: Remembering the Bones


I just finished reading this book.  It came to me in a box of miscellaneous second hand books that were given to me from another homeschooling mom.  I had no idea if the book was any good but it looked interesting so I thought I'd give it a try.  Here's the description from Amazon:


"Georgina Danforth Witley has never felt she has led anything but an ordinary life. But here she is on her way to meet the Queen. Born on April 21, 1926, the exact same day as Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, Georgie is one of 99 privileged Commonwealth subjects invited to an 80th-birthday lunch at Buckingham Palace. All she has to do is drive two hours to the airport and board the plane for London. Except that in her excited state, Georgie drives her car off the road, tumbling hood over trunk into a thickly wooded ravine. Thrown from the car, injured and unable to move but desperately hopeful that someone will find her, she must rely on her strength, her full store of family memories, her no-nonsense wit and a recitation of the names of the bones in her body—a long-forgotten exercise from childhood that reminds her she is still very much alive.

As Georgina lies stranded and helpless, she reflects on her role as a daughter, mother, sister, wife and widow; she casts back over family histories, lost loves and painful secrets. What has it all amounted to?"

It's basically a story recounting the events of Georgie's life from childhood all the way to where she is now - lying in a ravine waiting to be rescued.  I enjoyed the story and it was neat how the author creatively went back and forth from past to present.  Things happening in the present triggered memories of events from the past.  It was an interesting way to tell the story of someone's life.  When I read reviews, a lot of people said they disliked the ending of the story.  I suppose it kind of leaves you hanging a bit but in my opinion, the story has been told . . . what happens after that isn't the point.  Overall, it was a simple book, quick and easy to read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  

2 comments:

Heather said...

Great review, Karen! I really need reviews in order to read novels since time is very precious (to you too!). Happy New Year, my friend and happy homeschooling!

love, me

Anonymous said...

Come on now...it is Jan 10th 2013..and only TWO blogs????

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 A Bit of This and That. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator