Thursday 14 March 2013

Book Review: Wild


I picked up this book at the library after seeing it on Oprah’s Book Club list.  I was intrigued. 

Finding herself at a low point in her life after having lost her mother to cancer and her marriage ending in divorce, the author decides to get away from it all.  But instead of just moving away, she packs up a (huge) backpack and sets out to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) for a few months . . . might I add alone!  I know I could never do it.  Reading about her encounters with rattle snakes, bear sightings, coyotes howling at night . . . those that know me know I prefer the comfort of my own home rather than roughing it.  If I could hike all day in the beautiful mountains and forests and then be back in my own bed at night, I’d be all for it! 

Anyway, I really enjoyed the book.  There was some language in it that I would prefer not to read but I was able to look past it.  I loved reading about all the people she met along the way.  Everyone (okay, almost everyone) was so kind to her and no one could believe a woman was out hiking the PCT all by herself.  She proved to others and to herself that she could do what she put her mind to and along the way, healing took place.  She came to terms with things in her life and was able to deal with them and come out stronger on the other end (physically and emotionally!) 

All in all, an interesting read.  


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool book

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 A Bit of This and That. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator